The Flying V Ranch was established in 1958 in Robertson County, Texas by Matthew M. Dikeman, Sr. and his wife, Ann Dikeman. The Ranch has been in continuous operation in the Dikeman family as a cow-calf operation ever since.
A native of Temple, Texas, Matthew Dikeman graduated from Texas A&M University with a B.S. in Animal Science, Class of 1936. He served as a decorated Lt. Colonel in the US Army’s 1st Cavalry Division during WWII earning the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Air Medal, and Legion of Merit. Aside from establishing the Flying V Ranch, he authored The Dikeman Family in Texas, was an Elder and Charter Member of Spring Branch Presbyterian Church of Houston, Texas, and retired from Westinghouse Corporation in 1975.
The family’s Flying V brand dates back to cattle ranching and dairy operations in the 1920s by Matthew Dikeman’s father-in-law, George Doyle Cole, Sr. The Ranch was ably managed for the first 40 years of its existence by Mr. Marshall Vanderford of Franklin, Texas, until his death in 1998. The Flying V ran Hereford and Hereford cross cattle from 1958 until the early 1980s, when the Ranch transitioned to a Beefmaster herd under the ownership of Matthew Dikeman’s son, Dr. Matthew M. Dikeman, Jr. The orginal nucleus of the current Flying V Beefmaster herd was bred from bulls out of the Foundation Herd of Tom Lasater. Since then the Ranch has aggressively improved its herd through AI breeding, additions from the Foundation herd sales, and careful selection.
The Flying V is currently owned and operated by Dr. Matthew M. Dikeman, Jr., a board certified veterinarian in Houston, Texas. Dr. Dikeman holds a B.S. and D.V.M. from Texas A&M University, Class of 1968.